12.17.2008

charitable donations manifesto.

I will, for as long as I deem fit, follow the following rules in regards to any and all charitable donations I make, including volunteering my time, expertise, advice, or funds.  Obviously, there will be unforeseen circumstances that require me to bend these rules, but I think they should be recorded so that others can reflect on them or adopt them.

  1. I will not respond positively to any unsolicited phone call asking for donations to a charity.  I dislike my information being recorded on a list, and re-used without my permission, and I will not encourage this to happen further.
  2. I will not respond positively to any unsolicited request for donations on the street, unless I am particularly interested in the charity in question, and have free time available.  Neither of these conditions will ever occur immediately surrounding 9am and 5pm, especially not in winter.
  3. Advertising that is based on tapping in to some kind of religious guilt, or general shame, will be disregarded.
  4. Charities that have a massive corporate structure, and are not extremely clear about what is done with the money raised, will be generally disregarded.
  5. Preference will be given to charities recommended by friends, or charities that tap into a specific interest or issue I take to heart.
  6. Preference will be given to charities with a sustainable model for both fundraising, and distribution of funds.
  7. Preference will be given to charities that focus on 'teaching people how to fish', rather than 'fish supply'.
  8. Charities that demonstrate a bias in favour of a religious group, or political party, will generally be disregarded, excepting those that are fighting political corruption or dictatorships.
  9. Charities that attempt to address first-world problems in the developing world, such as a lack of networked technology in places where malaria and clean water are vital issues, will generally be disregarded.
  10. Marketing / Branding initiatives that work in co-operation with charities are acceptable, assuming all previous conditions are met, and the charity is the focal point, above the involved brands.
The above list is obviously informed by my own experiences with charity, as well as my stances on religion, corporatism, and politics.

No comments: