12.08.2008

twitter and the content wall.

I'm pretty certain the main difference between being knowledgeable about social media, or being active through several different forms of social media, is whether or not you actually have time to participate in anything else.


Upon my (far too late) conversion to reading blogs via RSS, I needed to find the content wall, the magic number that is my limit: I can generally read about 100 feeds at any given time, without it impacting my productivity, and without it getting out of hand and me hitting the wall.  I'm starting to feel as though that number can rise, given my iPhone adding a lot of time where I can be reading feeds to my schedule, but I'm hesitant to try to find the wall again.  It's actually a harrowing process for me, because I'll spend a week reading the internet until 2am every night before I realize I need to cut back.

After a lot of hesitation, I'm trying to find my content wall with Twitter.  It's more difficult, because I'm trying to avoid following anyone who tweets 50+ times a day, excepting people I either know, or deeply respect.

That said, I'm looking for twitter users worth following.  My major interests are advertising/marketing, communications, internet culture, media theory, fashion, comic books, and a sarcastic take on current events.  All suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, there's definitely a balance to be found in regard to how much info we can take in and also be genuinely participating in social relationships.

A couple of people I thought you might find interesting:

@daria mostly introspective twitter thoughts, but great ad/branding blog posts.

@windo - 13 yr account management guy turned planner. A good mix of good ad thoughts and his life in socal. Uses his twitter to build good personal relationships, very approachable guy.

@redstarvip - a bit more on the philosophical side, but intelligent thoughts with a good following