4.08.2007

accessibility versus disposability.

I was re-reading a few issues David Mack’s Kabuki the other day, and if you have ever seen anything he’s painted or drawn, you can understand why I had a moment that could be described as an immediate questioning of the definitions and limitations of the standard public definition of 'fine art'. It’s almost impossible for me to describe what reading an issue of Kabuki is like, except to say that it’s beautiful, engaging, and always feels to me like staring directly into innovation as a concept. The man tells stories in a way that seems completely new regardless if an issue or arc is read once or a dozen times. He mixes media, he shifts styles, and, from the one time I spoke to him at a Toronto comics convention, he does it without becoming arrogant, pretentious, or self-important in the least.

While those qualities alone would separate him from the ranks of ‘fine art’ in the eyes on many, many sarcastic people I know, I would assume he also has to deal with at least some level of ghetto-isation based on the vast amount of his work that is in the medium of comics. This raises questions. It can’t be said that any devaluation is an inherent part of created a reproducible work, because otherwise Starlight Over Rhone wouldn’t be considered fine art, as reproductions of it have been sold hundreds of thousands of times, on postcards, posters, prints, etc. This argument could be taken further (and, horrifyingly, I could reference Benjamin’s ‘The Work of Art as Mechanical Reproduction) but I’d rather skip ahead to the current state of the artistic image, which is that anything that exists does so in a state of endless reproduction. Welcome to the digital world.

So, reproduction is out. Access into major galleries is circular reasoning at best (it’s not in the Tate because it’s not Art, which I can tell because it isn’t in the Tate), so the next thing to discuss is whether accessibility is a negative trait, and whether it is confused with disposability.

Kabuki (the last issue I bought) retails for $4.25 Canadian. Collections of past issues are readily available at any truly decent comic shop, and back issues are often still available for order. Kabuki is something that can be owned and enjoyed by anyone who reads it. There are original pages, and from what I can tell they can be purchased. The separation is that the reproduced option, the comic itself, is the intended form for consumption. This might be because Mack is a talented artist who just happens to love comics, it may be for specific benefits of the medium (such as being able to create complex and decipherable meanings while making beautiful static images), or it might both and many other things besides. However, this seems to be the point that people feel lets them argue that such a thing isn’t fine art.

I think this ties into the conflation of accessibility and disposability. I make the same mistake, and often drunkenly explain to people that any band who is loved universally has run out of meaningful things to say. This argument falls apart with the example of the Beatles, who were both insanely commercially successful, and unquestionably of artistic merit. Graphic art has different rules, however. Gallery art, where there is a single ‘true’ piece, fulfills needs of exclusivity and scarcity. There is only one Starlight Over Rhone, and everything else is a copy. The intended form of the painting is only the painting, reproductions are merely that. But a comic book is different. The original art is part of the process of creating the mass material. A comic is, more often than not, a universally accessible work of art, one that many can own, experience, and interpret. What confuses me is the assumption that because something is available and accessible, it must therefore be disposable. The assumption that because nearly anyone in North American society who cares to look can own an issue of Kabuki, it is somehow diminished in value, suggests that ‘fine art’ is not a concern of meaning, ability, or quality, but instead that meaning, like taste, is directly attached to having something others cannot. That ‘great’ artworks are those which only one person can own, attach to themselves as a statement of worth, and then loan to galleries in a gesture of generosity crossed with self-adoration.

I guess, at the end of it, I was re-reading issues of Kabuki, and I suddenly found it very depressing that David Mack’s work could be dismissed by anyone because of his choice of an accessible, available medium, with characteristics that no other has. I do, however, think that the commodification of visual art has lead to a situation where, beyond the confusion of comics as a genre, rather than a medium, there is brilliant work that melds both visual art and story seamlessly, which isn’t getting the recognition it deserves.

Then again, people are still complaining about Damien Hirst, so I suppose definitions of art are even tighter than the idea of exclusivity and scarcity.

[EDIT: David Mack's own thoughts are in the comment thread. Read them, and understand the intention of the artist rather than my own somewhat clumsy ramblings.]

3 comments:

Angus McQuarrie said...

I would argue that in the eyes of a 'classical' artistic critic, Starry Night over Rhone, while may be infinitely reproduced, is a money grab, while the originial is where the art is. Kabuki's original art never really sees the light of day, it isn't the kind of thing you frame, it's designed to be reproduced from square one.

This is the difference between commercial art and fine art, in the eyes of the critic. Fine art is art for the sake of art, as opposed to art for making money. Although I suppose the famous artists were trying to make their living by selling those paintings. I'm really sure there's a difference.

In any case, I agree. New age, wake up. I think the problem is that the 'art critic' body has an elitist culture, and scarcity is required to maintain that. They're not going to get behind anything any 10 year old boy can own an original copy of.

jon crowley said...

Just an insider point, but I guarantee that people who end up purchasing the original art for Kabuki, or any other quality comic work, definitely end up framing it.

In fact, there are often gallery shows for comic artists, but at the same time, I agree that the 'art world' needs it elitism to keep the supposed right to tell everyone else what is good, and what isn't.

Hell, if quality art can be made for reproduction, how is the art auction industry going to make a large enough percentage?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When he couldn't post a repy to your blog, David Mack emailed me and asked that I post the message below:

-- Beginning of Message --
First, Thanks for your kinds words about my work and for reading it. Also, I appreciate your thoughtful considerations of my work and how they relate to art.

I appreciate everyone's view of my work and but allow me to introduce my own to the discussion.

I do not consider the original art work the actual art (and I do many gallery shows with the originals and many of them command a respectable price), and I also do not consider the printed KABUKI books the actual art or the intended end result.

Each of of them are an artifact of the process, and a delivery system. (It could be argued that comic books and graphic novels are a delivery system that I infiltrated and hijacked to deliver what I consider the actual art of my work).

What I consider the actual art of my work is the interface of someone reading my stories and digesting them inside thier own mind. The books and the originals are just a navigational artifact to deliver the idea that is completed only in the readers mind.

That is why I have no loyalty to a particular style or fixed method of working. My books are not expression, they are communication (something infintiely more powerful), which is only completed when someone reads it and finishes the process inside thier own head and in their own individual way.

The books and originals are to the real art of my work, as a map or atlas is to the actual geography that they are meant to direct you to.

The maps and atlases are not the real point. They are just a means to direct you to a place that you journey too, that is uniquely experienced by each person.

For me the magic and beauty of my view of comic books, is that they are a sequence of still images: Each image is its own thing, but put in a sequence they mean something more--BUT, only because the READER fills in what happens BETWEEN each image.

That space BETWEEN the images is the ACTUAL ART. That part happens inside the readers mind and each reader completes that conversation in an individual way.

So far, original art and the delivery system of comic books and graphic novels have allowed me to deliver my ideas of this conversation to the largest amount of people. That may change, but I'm very much enjoying it in the meantime!

Thanks for reading my books, and I saw a link to this on davidmackguide.com and thought I might join in the discussion.

Feel welcome to copy and paste my words here to other places as much as you like.

Kindest regards, and thank you for your thoughtfulness on the subject!


David Mack


P.S. You may also get a kick out of the DVD documentary film of my work called THE ALCHEMY OF ART. There is a trailer of it at herovideoproductions.com.

And you can find a message board of mine to reply to me at jinxworld.com.

-- End of message --

Best,
David Thornton >> http://davidmackguide.com