4.07.2007

realisation. (i spell in canadian.)

The spelling thing is most definitely not the realisation. But, while watching anime (Speed Grapher in particular) I realised that there is ample evidence of the effect of globalisation in language transfer. I recognise that many languages share a root, and therefore similarities are inevitable, but the fact that I heard something similar to 'mas communica-something' in the japanese audio, while the subtitles said 'mass media' has me thinking.

[EDIT: I'm worried someone might think I'm an idiot, so let me explain further. What I mean is, when the adoption or transliteration of another languages phonemes is used to explain a concept, that makes a point (maybe subconsciously) about the relationship of that language and that concept. This is a wussy version of linguistic determinism.]

The language virus is a beautiful thing to watch in action. At the same time, the french textbooks I remember from grade school considered 'videoclub' french, at least in some capacity.

I will not be at all surprised if Joss Whedon is right, and in the future everyone swears in cantonese.

Still, there's a little fear in the idea that the language of mass communications is english, when the dominant forces of the english speaking world seem to be less than willing to change with the times.

No comments: