2.01.2008

content management systems applied to the music business.

A friend of mine pointed this out to me: officialCOMMUNITY, a company that builds web-presences for musicians, including e-business and online communities. This is, in short, exactly what I feel the music business (the business surrounding music, not the business of making it) should be like - focused on creating a context for music.

I say context because, as I've argued before, the consensus we are dealing with is that the content is not something that can be charged for.

The future of music is in creating services that benefit both the artist, and the consumers, rather than just the system. Companies like officialCOMMUNITY expand my earlier comments on the music business re-imagined as a content management system, where services (expertise, information, connections, etc) are on offer, rather than a strict trade of control for access into a closed, but powerful system.

I'm still waiting, however, for the first targeted concert management company to come together. In a time when live performance revenue is the backbone of an artists earnings, I imagine it would be hard to find a bigger hook than guaranteed sell out shows. All you need is some way to gather the data... I've suggested a few options, if you recall.

No comments: