7.21.2008

metrics that matter.

I was thinking about this before I went to sleep last night, and I thought it was important enough to post.

In terms of web traffic, I don’t really care about unique hits. My number one criteria for success is simple: how many people have the site in the bookmarks bar of their browser. How many people love this site enough that it requires one click, no menus, to get there.

Obviously, if the average visitor spends 20 minutes on your site, visiting 10 pages, that’s wonderful. But I’m more interested in how habitual their patronage is. How incorporated into their daily life a site is.

The most important thing for a person, a product, or an outlet to be, is habit-forming. So, unless people are reading your RSS feed, and making visiting your site as simple as possible, I don’t know that they really care about what you do.

I should note that I can guarantee no one has my site in their bookmarks bar. I don’t. But I have notcot.org, and ilovenewwork, and digg. And you can bet those are three of the sites I evangelize most.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Well said. Now–how do we quantify those points? ;)

jon crowley said...

My inability to satisfactorily answer this questions is likely why software engineers make so much more money than I do.

Though, to a certain extent, we can already track traffic by IP, and see if visitors were direct or if they linked from somwhere.

The analysis would be a hassle until automated, but you could throw together half decent profile of the number of individuals who make repeated direct visits on a regular schedule.