8.13.2008

blackberry vs iphone.

I'm weighing in now; the people who love to argue that the iPhone is overpriced, over-hyped, and inferior to the Blackberries they have been using for the last couple years, are the equivalent of the people who until 2003 or so, would argue that Apple products were overpriced crap, and that Windows was vastly superior, and the far more intelligent choice.

You're confusing familiarity with usability. You're arguing that a cheaper, more limited experience is always better than a more expensive, broader one. And, more than slightly amusing since we're living in the soon-to-be cloud computing age, you're arguing that a full featured, desktop class mobile web browsing environment isn't a game breaker.

We're living in times of change. Microsoft has stopped copying Apple in favour of Nintendo, and the new 'sensible' choice in competition with Apple is RIM's Blackberry.

[N.B. - I am currently less than 24 hours into owning an iPhone. I am reserving the right to revise my impressions if this just turns out to be afterglow.]

2 comments:

Morphix said...

I think you're confusing markets.

The iPhone lacks push email (or at least lacked, if the 3G supports it), and when you're writing a million emails a day on it, the blackberry is a much more appropriate tool. It's also fuck cheaper.

This is why it's a business tool. For a consumer, the iPhone is the obvious choice.

jon crowley said...

I think other people are confusing markets.

While it's arguable that the blackberry is a better business tool only for the inclusion of a tactile keyboard, I'm not 100% certain. Push email is no longer a factor. I don't have a particularly hard time typing on the iPhone, although I'll admit it requires a hell of a lot of trust in the autocomplete function.

That said, most of then negative comments I see about the iPhone aren't that it's not sufficient for business, but that it's overpriced, or stupid, or all hype.

The real kicker, for me, is the emails I receive from Blackberry users that are plain text and links only, in courier new. I guess my point of contention is for my business needs, email actually has to be full-featured email.