3.20.2007

a conversation with singha. (artificials)

[Mostly because I have received my big 4th year seminar take home exam, and am only now understanding how fully I slacked off, there will not be a good exploration of the themes in this conversation. Note that it is very hastily edited, and the poor results are a reflection of that. But somewhere in there is the kernel of the artificials idea, which apparently most people aren't getting from my rambling crap posted thus far. I may delete this later, and replace it with a better exploration that isn't a pasted MSN convo. I may not. Now, to read tremendously boring autobiographies that I just went into debt to buy.]

----------

Shaan: I have come to a weird realization about myself...
Shaan: I am a fan of Pop Sub cultures...
Shaan: not necessarily what they think of... but for the reason that they are an identifiable sub culture
Shaan: .. wait... let me rephrase
Shaan: Not to be them. but because of what they are and how they identify themselves... its all too fascinating...
[
crowley.] it is pretty interesting.
[
crowley.] I’ve been looking into that for my artificial persona idea
Shaan: I don’t know if I would fit into the artificials
[
crowley.] subculture is a great example of people picking up elements of a personality for personal gain, not necessarily because it genuinely describes them.
Shaan: this idea I came to though is making me try and do the impossible and define what I am...
Shaan: that is definitely true
Shaan: though the range in gain is varied
Shaan: it would even seem that in attempts to further the culture it is more importantly there to make them more of the culture
Shaan: sometimes as seen with music
Shaan: make their own self a culture as it would be
[
crowley.] what I think is interesting is ideas of cooptation
[
crowley.] because, if a subculture was defined by ideals, by any real identity, that couldn't be co-opted. however, outward cues of the culture (clothes, music, slang) are often co-opted, and this leads to the death or devaluation of the culture.
[
crowley.] basically, that phenomenon indicates to me that no subculture has real substance, that it is more important at the surface level than anywhere else.
Shaan: this is true
Shaan: as seen with punk
[
crowley.] it's not ideals, it's an attempt to differentiate between the mass. Which, to me, makes it douchey.
Shaan: and basically everything
[
crowley.] the artificials is a response to that.
Shaan: you need to make it a film
Shaan: I'm certain of this
Shaan: I want to make it a film with you
[
crowley.] the only ideal is self-interest, although it could be applied to wider interest. But everything else is a weapon.
[
crowley.] I think it might be a book.
Shaan: then do it
[
crowley.] I kinda have to graduate first.

[Special thanks to Singha for not getting irked whenever he finds out I posted this.]

1 comment:

caficionado said...

As long as it isn't incriminating...Post it