3.25.2007

love affair with paper.

While laying out the ground war pdf mag idea, I've began to appreciate paper more than I have in a long while. A blank moleskine and pens/pencils is pretty much the only way to work, when it comes to brainstorming layouts, both in terms of text/notes, and in terms of images and how they will be used. I'm starting to wonder if the complete lack of education I have in terms of design is evidence of horrible decision making abilities on my part.

At the same time, I cherish what I can do with words, and I suppose at least part of that is the english major experience. Still, fourth year university seems to be the time for 'what might have been', even more than previous years were.

Text on a page is a beautiful thing, and it makes me happy that I have found a way to present it which makes at least one of my theories a little bit more plausible, at least in my head. I have notebooks dating back years with the phrase 'text is a visual medium' scrawled in the margins. It's nice to finally take that and put it into anything resembling action.

Digital text makes white space a design choice, and not a waste of resources.

[If windows XP was willing to accept my card reader without nonexistant drivers, I'd even be including some pictures of my notes / layout concepts with this whatever-it-is. As it is, just trust that I mixed my major influences of hypertext, magazines, and comics together until something that worked for me, and is accessible, came up.]

2 comments:

lindsay said...

agreed.
oh so agreed.

Morphix said...

There are other ways beyond paper, like Omnigraffle.

But for that, you would need a mac. =D